Friday, December 13, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Cucumber Salad

The Background

I was searching recently for a new cold salad to add to a fajita buffet dinner.  I knew I wanted something that would be both "cool" and just a little bit spicy.  I ran across several cucumber salads and combined what I thought were the best ideas into this recipe.  I really liked the way it turned out.  It is cool and bright, spicy and sweet, salty and tangy all in one dish.

The Ingredients 

  • 4 large cucumbers, seeded and diced, peel if desired  
  • 1 medium white onion, chopped 
  • 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon lime pepper (coarse ground black pepper will work fine, but I definitely recommend this Lime Pepper I found at Texas Spice Company!)
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced 

Making it Work  

  1. Place cucumbers, onion and jalapenos in a large bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture and toss well to coat.
  3. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment