Monday, May 21, 2012

Syrupy Banana-Nut Overnight French Toast


 The Background

Okay, I don’t typically re-post recipes exactly as they are written.  I confess to being one of “those” people who has to try something, dabble with it, fidget with it, fix it, forget it, re-fix it and then… post it.  Typically, if I am searching for inspiration I will hit tons of recipe sites, peruse countless recipes.  I will discredit some poor guy or gal I never met, scoffing at whatever process or ingredient they are using, then find another similar dish and apply recipe one’s thought, to recipe two’s ingredients and combine it with something I think I dreamt up, but was probably bastardized from yet another source.
Not today.  Today, maybe it’s because I was appalled at how long it has been since I posted a recipe, or perhaps because we had this for Mother’s Day brunch and it was “lick the pan” delicious exactly how it was written, I proudly repost… Syrupy Banana-Nut Overnight French Toast.  And I would like to thank the fine folks at Good Housekeeping for awesome recipe.  Oh, I can’t wait to try other fruit variations with this recipe

The Ingredients



  • 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
  • 5 large ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 1 (12-ounce) long loaf French or Italian bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices (I used Challah – and loved it!)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 cup(s) milk
  • 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup(s) sliced almonds or coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
    Read more: Syrupy Banana-Nut Overnight French Toast - Good Housekeeping

  •  

    Making It Work


  • In microwave-safe small bowl, heat butter in microwave oven on High 1 minute or until melted. Stir sugar into butter until moistened. With fingertips, press sugar mixture onto bottom of 13-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish. (It's okay if mixture does not cover bottom.) Spread fresh or dried fruit over sugar mixture; top with bread slices, cut sides down.
  • In medium bowl, with whisk, beat eggs; whisk in milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Slowly pour milk mixture over bread; press bread down to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. (My wife is not a fan of nuts, so we toasted pecans to sprinkle on top rather than baking them into the French toast)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes or until bread is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Note: If you don't have bananas, substitute 3 to 4 very ripe pears or peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced; or 1 cup dried cherries, cranberries, or raisins.
    Read more: Syrupy Banana-Nut Overnight French Toast - Good Housekeeping
  • 1 comment:

    1. I am some happy to find this recipe! I heard how good it was and am anxious to find an excuse to make this dish myself. Thanks for posting it!
      Joy

      ReplyDelete