Friday, March 25, 2011

Mango Margaritas

I was in HEB a couple of weeks ago and noticed that mangoes are coming back into season.  The ones I saw were from Peru and they were huge.  As we get into spring they will continue to get less expensive and the source will get closer.  Mango is one of my personal favorites, it reminds me of a tropical peach.  To me, a group of friends, a platter of fajita tacos and a pitcher of mango margaritas would probably be one of my top choices of a way to spend an evening under the fans of the covered patio pool-side.
This recipe was sent to me from Texas Monthly.  It was originally from Teala's (3210 W. Dallas) in Houston.

1 cup white tequila
1/2 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau
2 1/2 cups pureed fresh ripe mangoes (4 or 5, depending on size)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 pound crushed ice
Place half of the ingredients in a blender (it can hold only half the batch at a time) and blend to a slushy consistency (will not be as thick as a typical frozen margarita). If mangoes are not fully ripe, add more Triple Sec to taste. Off-season, use frozen mangoes. Makes four 10-ounce margaritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment